Thursday, August 13, 2009

Late Night Done Right?


As many of you may have already realized, NBC’s late night talk show schedule has undergone some drastic changes over the course of the past several months. Some folks are coming, some folks are going, and some folks are revamping things. I’m here to help you all make sense of modified lineup and provide my own analysis of the new look.

The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien - Personally, I think that kicking Jay Leno to the curb and promoting Conan O’Brien to the esteemed role of host of the Tonight Show was a very good move for NBC. I’ve always believed that Conan was the funnier, better host of the two and it was time to make that move. However, I’d be lying if I didn’t say that Conan’s act has lost a little bit of its pop since his taking over the Tonight Show on June 1st. I think that may have a lot to do with the fact that Conan (moving from a 12:30am to an 11:30pm time slot) now has to appeal to the much older audience that he inherited from Leno and, thus, can no longer crack all of the off color remarks that young’ns such as myself had come to expect from him. Oh wells. Conan’s still way better than Leno.

Late Night with Jimmy Fallon - I’m not going to lie, I wasn’t the most ecstatic to hear the news about Jimmy Fallon taking over hosting duties for Conan O’Brien. It’s not so much that I don’t like Jimmy, I just didn’t really see him fitting the role of a late night talk show host. However, I’m proud to say, so far, he’s proven me wrong.

Jimmy’s hosting skills have improved drastically in the few short months with the show. Also, I like the way he mixes things up and steps outside of the box that has come to be the traditional, contemporary late night talk show. He spontaneously runs out into his audience, engages his celebrity guests in activities (like beer pong), and even breaks out into a freestyle every now and then. Oh yea, the fact that he has the Roots as his house band doesn’t hurt at all.

Last Call with Carson Daly - I’m going to be really honest; I used to hate Carson Daly’s hideous talk show. It was stale, unfunny, and seemed to drag on (even though it was only half the length of most late night talk shows). BUT, I’m happy to say that all that has changed now.

See, NBC has changed the entire structure of Last Call. Where it once was a boring excuse for a talk show, it now feels much more like an original idea. They’ve taken Carson out of the television studio, suit and tie and put him out in the streets meeting with and interviewing up and coming musicians and actors. This feels much more like Carson’s natural habitat and his hosting skills seem to have improved now that he is no longer faced with the daunting responsibility of carrying a traditional talk show. The show does a great job of exposing new artists. Essentially, the recent renovation of the show has completely salvaged its existence. Congrats Carson.

Well, there you have it folks. NBC’s new late night talk show lineup is officially solidified and doing quite well I might add. Yet another reason for me to give in to insomnia….*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment